[Page updated Friday, August 30 2019]
St. Mary’s is seeking an Assistant Director of Christian Education – a dedicated church school teacher to lead a classroom weekly, and the entire team in Director’s absence.
● Experience with teaching children in a classroom setting
● Ability to balance thorough preparation with flexibility
● Respect for youth and children, as well as respect for all staff members and congregants
● A willingness to learn
● 18+ years old
● Experience with Godly Play
● Musical skill
● Prepare and teach a lesson each week. Lesson materials will be provided.
● Engage with children and assist with caring for them through the entirety of Church
● Clean and sanitize surfaces in classroom weekly
● Attend meetings as assigned
● Be trained in Safe Church protocol and at least one module of Godly Play (covered by
● Compliance with parish and diocesan policy
● Lead classroom as assigned.
● Lead youth and children’s ministries in Director of Christian Education’s absence.
● Reports to Director of Christian Education
● Will sit on a cushion on the floor (weekly)
● Will walk up and down a flight of stairs (weekly)
● Will bend and kneel (weekly)
● May be asked to lift 30-50 lbs (on occasion)
Reasonable accommodations will be made as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Mentorship in directing a Church School
● 9:20-11:30am each Sunday, two hours preparation per week.
● Minimum 33 Sundays between September 22 and May, up to 37. Sundays off to be
● Attend monthly virtual or in-person meeting. This may be a meeting of the council of
parents, the support group for parents, a meeting of the Church School helpers, or another meeting mutually agreed upon.
The person in this position may be offered the opportunity to care for children at other times during the year for additional compensation.
To be considered, please contact Andrew Heintz
Director of Christian Education
St. Mary’s Episcopal Church, Newton Lower Falls, MA
Pronouns: he, him, his